Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Is it Leonardo or Leonardo? É Leonardo ou Leonardo?

My son has a strong awareness for foreign accents. Yes, the child with two foreign-born parents is always pointing out that we say things differently.  Today, I stumbled upon an interesting post on bilinguals and accents which reminded me about our lasting conversation regarding the way we say his name, Leonardo. He is always reminding us that we say his name differently. Basically, he claims his name is "Leonardo" and not "Leonardo."

Even though I point out  that English is not my first language and that's the reason why I say it that way, he simply replies "but Mrs Ratheir called me "Leonardo" not "Leonardo." Yes, my son, Mrs Rathier was a great pre-K teacher and she was right, but unfortunately she doesn't speak Portuguese, but we do!

How about your kids, do they ask you about your accent?

*************

O meu filho faz a distinção entre os sotaques diferentes e ele é filho de pais estrangeiros cujas línguas maternas nãos são o inglês.  Hoje encontrei um artigo que fala de sotaques que me faz lembrar a conversa longa que nos temos acerca da maneira como nos dizemos o seu nome, Leonardo.

Ele esta sempre a corrigir-nos, "o meu nome não e "Leonardo" mas sim "Leonardo." E nos lembramo-lo que nascemos noutros países onde não se fala Inglês, dai falamos Inglês com sotaque. Ele responde-nos sempre da mesma maneira "A Mrs Ratheir chamava-me sempre "Leonardo" e não "Leonardo." Sim, meu filho, Mrs. Ratheir foi uma professora maravilhosa, mas infelizmente não fala Português, mas nos falamos!

E os seus filhos? Eles fazem comentarios acerca de sotaques diferentes?


No comments: